, , , , , ,

Nepal Day 3: Canoeing & Elephant Riding In Chitwan National Park


Birds chirping is what we heard and this means another brand new day of our adventure in Nepal. 
Our activities for today are canoeing and elephant riding. 

We walked to the river bank, which not far away from our stay to embark on a canoe ride. The experience of the canoeing along the calm river in early morning can be both a peaceful and a thrilling experience at the same time. I can't deny the ride on the wooden boat was indeed very relaxing, especially passing through the green picturesque surroundings but then deep down inside my heart, I was so scared and frightened when they said we might bump into crocodile. Crocodile is one of my biggest fear, after snake, spider and shark. 

2014 Nepal Chitwan Canoeing
#1: Early morning we went for canoeing along the river

Luckily for me but no luck for my friends, we didn't get the chance to spot any crocodiles. I can't imagine if we spot one, wondering will I faint on the boat? Hahaha... Right after we done with the canoeing, we were brought to the elephant breeding center. In Nepal, the elephant is fast becoming one of the endangered animals and this center was established to increase its number. 

2014 Nepal Chitwan Elephant Breeding Center 1
#2: Elephant breeding center in Chitwan

2014 Nepal Chitwan Elephant Breeding Center 3
#3: Feeling emotional when seeing those elephants being chained up but the reason behind is to avoid those elephants from roaming freely and crash into the village. 

Because I assign my friend to plan everything for this trip, I didn't know that we are going for an elephant ride, which I was strongly against it. Even I've been to Thailand several times but never have I plan for any elephant riding activities as I felt it's so cruel to sit on top of this innocent creature. But since my friend has arranged almost everything, I have no choice but to join along. Anyhow, I promise and told myself that this will be my first and last elephant ride. 

#4: Elephant ride in the oldest national park in Nepal

While riding on the elephant, I have this thought of "why don't just they drive jeep safari into the national park rather than riding on a elephant?". You can't see how heartbroken we were when the elephant rider keep hitting the elephant's forehead by using a bullhook spiked with nails in order to make the elephant keep on moving. I really felt so sorry for the elephant and guilty for riding it. So if possible, try to avoid from riding an elephant the next time you come to Chitwan for a visit. Do you know that Cambodia has finally bans elephant rides at Angkor Wat park? Read here for more. I wish those countries like Thailand, Myanmar, India, Sri Lanka and Nepal can do the same thing as well which is to ban the elephant riding activities. 

2014 Nepal Chitwan Elephant Ride 2
#5: We spotted few deers during the ride.

2014 Nepal Chitwan Elephant Ride 3
#6: The highlight of this trip - not one but two endangered Indian one-horned rhinos we saw. Feeling lucky but also guilty at the same time. 

2014 Nepal Chitwan Elephant Ride 4
#7: This will be my first and final elephant ride.

Share:

2 comments:

  1. I would not want to bump into any crocodiles. No, thank you.

    I feel you when you mentioned on how the elephants been treated to give us a ride. I rode once in Thailand. Dont think I wanted another elephant ride, seeing how cruel they been treated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read our guide to the best Elephant Ride. Elephant Ride in South Africa We will tell you about the elephant ride in South Africa. For more information Visit here

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share what's on your mind & thoughts.
Thanks for the comments and I'm truly appreciate that.
[All comments are moderated. Your comment may not show up immediately. Please do not spam and keep it on topic.]